sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote for a new webface, optimized.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Vote for a new webface, optimized.
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:18:00 -0600

On Jan 24, Vlad Glagolev [stealth AT tiberian.ru] wrote:
> Thanks, I just followed Jeremy's advice[0] on this one.

I wasn't talking about whether or not to update the content. Everyone
wants the content to be maintained and useful and you've clearly done good
work on this.

> So my advice would be to set up a transparent proxy or change DNS
> records for 'sourcemage.org' and 'www.sourcemage.org' and test it for
> some time.

This is the part I was talking about--the details of hosting, if you were
wanting to change any of those, and you apparently are. As the person who
has had the responsibility to maintain our hosting and architecture
according to the standards the distro wanted to maintain ever since the
Great Outage, I'm not into having the major bits hosted in fragmented ways
not under control of the distro unless there's a very compelling reason.
So, doing that would require a vote, if there is an actual disagreement
about it--let's talk about it first and find out if there is.

> I'm not sure current @sourcemage.org server is ready for setting this
> up. It must be running at least stable grimoire 0.61 with some

There's no reason at all we can't provide whatever components you need.
Please give me a list. "stable grimoire 0.61" is not that helpful, as we
all know our grimoire version numbers don't tell a lot about the specifics
of the packages needed. The current node that has the website has packages
from various grimoire versions, depending on when those packages were last
updated upstream, security updates, etc. Some pieces are no doubt older
than what's in 0.61, some are newer.

As mentioned in the past, as well, I have been working on a migration to a
different provider that would give us better hosting and cheaper cost and
with better direct access to our nodes (both network access and physical
access). The biggest remaining part of that was the website, but I stopped
work when you announced what you were doing because it would make no sense
to move the old stuff over if it was going to be replaced. This means that
if you're ready to put this on the project's hosting I can simply build it
out as you need it up front.

> additional spells from my personal grimoire[1] or test grimoire (which
> is not a very good thing for production server).

We can accomodate these as well. And while I prefer all my prod stuff stay
on stable, when the stable grimoire releases broke down again, that became
non-viable.