sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 20:22:49 +0300

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:56:01 +0300,
Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org> wrote:

> but I really missed some proper front page for Source Mage. I didn't
> dive deep yet, but really, just the main page and a proper download
> page are gold! Also there is a chance to find docs about writing
> spells, etc.

Thanks! Yes, it took me a full-time week to move, combine and fix the
pages you can see now: it's almost everything you need to start using
SMGL, including some spell's[0] files[1] reference[2] to begin and
understand spell writing, Sorcery[3] commands[4] and development with
git[5]. It also reveals our history[6], aims[7] and needs[8] as well as
our developer organization[9] and policies[10] (which have been totally
forgotten). I think I need around 2 weeks or so to complete the docs'
migration (though, I'd get some additional help from other developers
better familiar with different parts of development, i.e. Sorcery or
Cauldron).

> Chiliproject may stay, but it's no website for facing users, it's a
> developer site.

Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about. Our site needs to look
like a site, not a wiki or any bug-tracking system with default theme
-- they're all wrong for original project with a unique face and its own
personality.

> Yes, this really is more appealing and you are able to find some docs.

Yes, the docs were combined and reorganized from both of our wikis and
several resources (including manual pages of our tools).

> Though: Where is the wiki part?

Everything you see except news is a wiki :) Yes, it's hidden so good
that you would never notice it. And it's a good thing: once again --
our site shouldn't show any extra signs of a wiki -- it should look
like an intact website. Edit/History/Backlinks links are located in the
right bottom corner. Auth is done via http-auth -- so no spammers; and
access is granted by request. It's possible to use other types of auth
including custom scripts or LDAP (which is the best IMHO).

> One little nitpick, though: The search field seems to feature white
> text on white background on my Firefox.

Thanks for the feedback. Fixed. I also fixed a truncation engine (while
keeping/correcting HTML-tags for compliance) at the news[11] page, so
it's possible to transfer our really big[12] news/blog posts from the
past now.

[0] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Spell
[1] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Spell/Files/DETAILS
[2] http://beta.sourcemage.ru/Spell/Writing Handbook