sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Happy New Year!
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:15:59 -0600

On Jan 03, Vlad Glagolev [stealth AT tiberian.ru] wrote:
> My main idea was -- to get back the face that inspired myself to try
> smgl long ago. So let me present a try for the new Source Mage webface:
>
> http://beta.sourcemage.guru

Whenever the "docs problem" has come up over the years and morphed
immediately into the "what web backend" question, I have said I don't see
the point in constantly switching web backends when no one is first
commimiting to the content itself. Let someone come along and actually
write/pull together the content, then let that person or team's needs in
maintaining it drive the requirements for the backend.

So, thanks for doing the work that matters first. I definitely agree that
attempts to fix the the "face" problem as you call it have focused the
wrong place. I too am glad to see again the sourcemage site that drew me
in many years ago.

> I propose this version of the site for sourcemage.org as well as a
> brand new approach for further development -- it would be nice to
> invite people from several Linux resources to join our development
> team, and here's a good place to invite them to.

Once upon a time we had a tome team officially responsible for doing this
work, in connection with the people managing the server(s). That's still
the best way I know to actually move things along so we know we have
appropriate buy-in from the distro developers before we change stuff.
So I would say if you think it's ready now, call for the current PL to have
either a Tome Lead election or an Issue Vote to just move this forward as
the site.