sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:32:45 -0600

On 01/27/2013 05:21 PM, Vlad Glagolev wrote:
>> If they were actually separate, I might accept this. They're not. As
>> I've mentioned before, the spell files are interdependent.
>
> That is still not a reason to ruin current spell arch.
> And you took pretty wrong priorities, by not starting with webplace,
> updated iso, etc. It's not what would really change the future.

It would appear that you and I fundamentally disagree. I don't believe
updating a website to make it look prettier will do anything other than
make a website look prettier. We've changed our website many times in
the past, and all it did was make work for the administrator of the
server. We've never once gained a user because we have a pretty web
site. ISO is one of my priorities, and I have already detailed the plan
to get there in another mail, and so I will not repeat myself here.

>> Regardless of systemd, our spell files are not UNIX philosophy
>
> That is not about pipes, but about separation of BUILD PROCESS' STAGES
> and understanding of it by users and developers like:
>
> 1. collecting info (urls, dependencies, etc.)
> 2. configure, make
> 3. make install
> 4. final message/additional info
> 5. trigger something
>
> with pre-/-post sub-stages for every step.
>
> They were not meant to be pipe-ing anything. UNIX philosophy here
> applies as that every stage happens in its own file. And yes, files
> can't operate alone, because it becomes senseless: variables containing
> dependencies and spell info are used where needed to configure
> and compile a program! Nothing more or less.

As well, we fundamentally disagree here. I don't believe that it
violates any UNIX philosophy by having a single file instead of eleven.

--
David