sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future (focus: declarative spell and nonlinear config; chroot build)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future (focus: declarative spell and nonlinear config; chroot build)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:29:28 +0100

On Sunday 27 of January 2013 15:13:23 David Kowis wrote:
> > But, even if it were efficient: Spells hacking DETAILS with Bash
> > scripting are scary for the folks who didn't start this. They are hard
> > to maintain, and they keep side-stepping the question if Sorcery should
> > support multi-version spells ...
> >
> > Spells that consist of CONFIG and optionally PRE_BUILD/BUILD, INSTALL,
> > FINAL, if needed, would work for me. Perhaps one could condense the
> > optional scripts, though.
> >
> > You skipped that one in the list, didn't you?
>
> I'd be more tolerant of keeping them as individual files if they were
> independent. The spell files, however, are not independent. They are
> exceptionally interdependent. We create variables in one, and reference
> them in others. They're tightly coupled, in general. Perhaps splitting
> configuration from installation, but then we've only got two, and even
> then we'll need to do some checks to know how it's configured depending
> on certain installation logics. I don't believe they're separate files
> in anything other than logical organization on the disk.
I'd call this a great exaggeration. Most spells don't use any extra
persistent
variables, but [citation needed]. Coupling is looser than I'd expect, since
as
was already pointed out, you can run separate stages with delve (DETAILS
being
the only "global" file).

Anyway, you haven't managed to show any usability or practical gains yet, so
this still falls under "unnecessary work with dubious benefits" for me.

LP
--
To err is humor