sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Teh Future
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 03:21:16 +0400

> If they were actually separate, I might accept this. They're not. As
> I've mentioned before, the spell files are interdependent.

That is still not a reason to ruin current spell arch.
And you took pretty wrong priorities, by not starting with webplace,
updated iso, etc. It's not what would really change the future.

> Regardless of systemd, our spell files are not UNIX philosophy

That is not about pipes, but about separation of BUILD PROCESS' STAGES
and understanding of it by users and developers like:

1. collecting info (urls, dependencies, etc.)
2. configure, make
3. make install
4. final message/additional info
5. trigger something

with pre-/-post sub-stages for every step.

They were not meant to be pipe-ing anything. UNIX philosophy here
applies as that every stage happens in its own file. And yes, files
can't operate alone, because it becomes senseless: variables containing
dependencies and spell info are used where needed to configure
and compile a program! Nothing more or less.

--
Dont wait to die to find paradise...