sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: George Sherwood <pilot AT beernabeer.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 18:08:30 -0500

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:34:31 +0900
flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> With the level of turnaround we have on grimoire bugs, I think pushing
> the effort towards finding new bugs to fix is the wrong place to start
> (I'm not saying it should be done at all - it absolutely should). I
> would like to know what the candidates think can be done to improve
> bug resolution turnaround, so that when we do get an influx of new
> bugs we will know that we can actually handle them. Would you propose
> some new policy for grimoire developers? Would you try to automate
> fixes somehow? What are your ideas for dealing with this?

As much I would like to be able to automate the bug fix process, I
think this falls into the same category as completely automated testing
of spells. With volunteer developers it is problematic to assign bugs
as you would in a commercial development environment making a developer
personally responsible for a certain number of bugs. What I think can
be done by an involved grimoire lead is to send out reminder messages
of the bug count and possibly highlight certain bugs and what
particular skill is needed to fix that bug. Generally bugzilla sits in
the background and is silent, we need to find a way to make it more
visible and remind developers that as much as it is important to
continue to apply regular updates to spells in the grimoire it is
important to check bugzilla and personally tackle those bugs that your
apply to your particular skill set. Some of the bugs are very
difficult and it might be a good technique to send a message to list
and elicit ideas to deal with it.

George Sherwood