sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:34:31 +0900

After hearing from two of the candidates, I would like to propose a
question to all candidates, but I'll give some background explanation
first.

It seems there's a recognized need for better quality assurance/control.
There seems to also be recognition for some level of automation in
finding bugs. I agree this is needed.

However, what I wonder about is what will be done with the bugs once
found. At present, there are 569 open bugs against the grimoire. This is
a huge decrease from even about 1 year ago, so I'd definitely like to
say good job on that for everyone in the grimoire who worked to bring
that number down. Yet, it's still a very high number. There's about
25-30 currently active grimoire developers (according to my active
developer list, which I'm still verifying, so this number may be
inaccurate). That leaves about 20 bugs per developer, if each developer
fixed the same number of bugs.

With the level of turnaround we have on grimoire bugs, I think pushing
the effort towards finding new bugs to fix is the wrong place to start
(I'm not saying it should be done at all - it absolutely should). I
would like to know what the candidates think can be done to improve bug
resolution turnaround, so that when we do get an influx of new bugs we
will know that we can actually handle them. Would you propose some new
policy for grimoire developers? Would you try to automate fixes somehow?
What are your ideas for dealing with this?

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage