sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire Lead vote for 2010
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:03:47 +0200 (CEST)

This is as close as I'll get to a speech.

2010-04-01 21:52:38@<ruskie> there's not really much for grimoire future...
just keep grinding it like now
2010-04-01 21:53:00@<ruskie> there's a few projects that would be nice to be
done... like a full license audit
2010-04-01 21:56:24@<ruskie> I'd like to get rid of z-rej not that that will
happen since it's a big decision
2010-04-01 21:57:12+<PyroBor> with z-rejected goes nvidia driver... which i
use and i think many of others people too
2010-04-01 21:57:14@<ruskie> and what would be nice to see is better QC for
spells even before they hit test(so dev branches or something like that)
2010-04-01 21:57:23@<ruskie> PyroBor, as said not really gonna happen
2010-04-01 21:57:43@<ruskie> PyroBor, and I meant officialy only... nothing
prohibiting people providing their own grimoire
2010-04-01 21:57:51@<lynxlynxlynx> it's already optional, so i don't see what
you'd gain
2010-04-01 21:58:18@<ruskie> I would also love to see more community
grimoires instead of pushing everything into the main one
2010-04-01 21:58:37@<ruskie> since we're a small team that actually makes
some sort of sense to me
2010-04-01 22:00:00@<ruskie> maybe split the grimoire into base, X, gnome,
KDE, and other large chunks to make it easier to overlay as someone
mentioned... with each one having it's own feature branches, stable ones
etc...
2010-04-01 22:00:06+<PyroBor> yeah more community grimoires would be nice.
but we could support that to give git space and packing to those who wanna
have little bigger grimoire
2010-04-01 22:01:32@<ruskie> PyroBor, git hosting is free on so many places
2010-04-01 22:01:50@<ruskie> repo.or.cz, github, gitorious, sourceforge etc...
2010-04-01 22:03:27@<ruskie> the pre test QC could also be replaced by a post
test QC... some branch that would get updated on a weekly basis
2010-04-01 22:04:35@<ruskie> I'd really like to see some automated testing of
spells
2010-04-01 22:04:59@<ruskie> atleast as far as various options and so on are
concerned
2010-04-01 22:05:45@<ruskie> so many things that could be done so little time
or will to do them
2010-04-01 22:05:50+<abouter> revive prometheus?
2010-04-01 22:06:05@<ruskie> abouter, yeah but a bit more advanced
2010-04-01 22:07:00@<ruskie> abouter, possibly a tad smarter as well so it
knows what it checked already and so on
2010-04-01 22:07:23@<ruskie> abouter, and of course something akin to a
one-click deployment of it

I hope it answers any questions people might have.

As for the rest:
What do you think needs the most improvement in SMGL, and why?
What specifically in the grimoire needs the most improvement, and why?

Applies to both ^^
Quality control. Simply We get random breakages way to often. I'm not
talking about stable. But test. I want test to be more stable than a
devel type of grimoire. Things in there should cast, work etc... Yes a
breakage here and there but those should be either stuffed into a devel
branch or reverted.

What needs to change to get more users, or do we need to get more users?
What needs to change to get more developers, or do we need to get more
developers?

The way I look at it users are developers or developers are users. Goes
both ways. We make it easy for them to roll their own spells. What we
need to do is make the rest of the system easy as well. Sorcery is
there. Cauldron is getting there. We need some stuff better overall
though.

Producing chroots, cross-compiles etc... This requires work in a lot of
places. This I think will generally attract more users that would be
developers as well.

I still believe the idea of slow growth is the best for us. A large
influx of developers or users would overwhelm our general support
channels or peer review channels.

I hope my ramblings didn't put you to sleep. Anyway I'm off.

--
Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Ryle hira.