sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 04:32:14 -0500

flux [flux AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> I also disagree with some of the claims of the freenode message. They
> claim that most users don't publish logs because they don't consider
> that what they type/say in the channels is something that can be
> recorded and live on. I doubt that this is truly the case. I would think

I think it's important to make some differentiation here. I think most
people expect that things they say could be held on to by individual
people, and perhaps live on in that way.

I think they are aware that someone *could* copy/paste what they say and
publish it in a way that would make it very public - but that they
generally don't expect most things to be handled that way. And I think
a general expectation of mutual respect would prevent purposely
publishing things that would (significantly) shame or harm someone.

What people do not expect is that all of every conversation will be
published in such a way that it will be indexed, searchable, and
archived pretty much forever (ala published on the web).