sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:57:18 -0400

Eric Sandall (eric AT sandall.us) wrote [09.10.08 18:35]:
> > This functionality can (and should) be derived from having different
> > people *review* the same document, rather than by having the same
> > document rewritten by multiple people. Having it rewritten essentially
> > duplicates work. For an example of how simply reviewing a single
> > document can work, see the revision history of
> > http://www.sourcemage.org/Tome/DocumentGuidelines. ;)
>
> I think you meant http://www.sourcemage.org/Tome/DocumentationGuidelines :)
>
> I agree, we should have one source for all documentation (where
> applicable). One spot to put documentation (e.g. wiki and SMGL-specific
> man pages) and have it generated into the appropriate format (e.g.
> DocuWiki and man, respectively).
>
> The less duplicate work we have to do, the better. A similar idea,
> probably not related to Tome, would be auto-generated commit or HISTORY
> entries, the auto-generated based on the manually entered.
>
> - -sandalle

Yes, thank you for spotting my typo. :)

I think that the auto-generated commit entries (I assume you mean
specifically the commit messages) would only be appropriate for routine
commits done in the grimoire, such as simple spell updates or creations.
There would need to be an easy way to override that function though for
non-routine cases.

Depending on one's editor, this could be accomplished relatively easily.
However, a better solution would be to implement this as a git hook
(PREPARE-COMMIT-MSG, so that the editor is still brought up and the
template can easily be modified?) within the grimoire git repository,
which could be tracked by the repository and thus all clones of the main
repository would pull it in.

I think further discussion should probably be moved to its own thread,
as this one is getting heavy with messages not directly related to the
parent...

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage