sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:18:20 +0200 (CEST)

:2009-10-04T07:09:Ladislav Hagara:

> Spell quality checking is a good idea.
> Only we need some investor with million dollars to buy required hardware
> and mainly offer full time job for dozen developers. :-)

Not really. We have hardware a plenty with our devs. Just there is no
one click chroot install to make this easily deployable.

> According to http://www.sourcemage.org/SourceMage/Developers we have 50
> active developers. Where are they?

Contact them or start developer removal votes etc... It's defined in our
voting policy iirc. Infact it's probably long overdue.

> How much commits, bug reports, wiki updates have they realized last
> week, month, year?

Stats can be obtained, see ohloh.net if you need more info about commits
and I think there was a few scripts about it as well or one liners on
how to check who commited in the last 6 months or last year etc.

> We need more "active" developers who really "use" Source Mage GNU/Linux.
> We all usually fix only our own problems. If we have problem with our
> own box we really try to fix it and commit changes into test grimoire.

Not always. Some things are simply due to a specific configuration.

> Prometheus is really great to fulfil our bugzilla but who will fix those
> bugs. There are crowds of bugs created by prometheus and still with only
> "New" status from 2006.

Chances are most might be a non-issue since versions were updated, spells
rewritten etc... Just someone needs to go through them and see if they
can be reproduced.

> For example now, even developers grumble that there are problems with
> new gnome but none commits, fixes, bug reports from them.

Because it hasn't been traced yet to a specific issue. GTK+2 apps
randomly crashing. It could be a gtk+2 thing it could be any of it's
dependencies etc...

> It is easy to create new branch with updates and ignore them.

Can you stop it with the branches. I haven't seen you work on any of the
branches so far and you are the main person to complain about them.

> Review of sm-commits list is also good for spell quality checking.
> Sorry, but moving/integrating changes from master to xorg and vice
> versa, revert reverted with reversing is impossible to review, the same
> is with emails with twenty commits, impossible to review.

So go to scmweb.sourcemage.org on review the commits there one at a
time. This is only the email format. But it can be changed to report a
single commit at a time(iirc). File a bug with administration on getting
the script changed.

> Even some developers don't run "sorcery system-update" and update spells
> randomly and wonders there are problems.

Because "sorcery system-update" is problematic in so many cases that
people avoid it. I run it maybe once every 6 months now because the
breakages of various packages caused were just to many. And the issue is
the same for single spell casts as well. So yes the best way to fix this
is to make spells actually work with single updates. Then system-update
will work as well.

> Their still run not supported linux kernels, old glibc with strange
> headers file.

"not supported linux kernels" ??? what? We do not have any OFFICIALLY
supported kernel, our users are NOT required to have the linux spell and
so on.

"old glibc with strange headers file" erm? Our glibc spell should only
ever use tested headers and no others. Atm we have use current, use old
use tested(iirc). This is where the most issues come. We need to get rid
of the current and old and only use the tested ones. That way we
actually have control over this.

Don't forget our primary goal is choice to the users. The more choice
you give them the odder, weirder, more uncommon the bugs hit become.

> One developer can't test all options in spell, can't install all
> patches. There are optional patches even ignored by upstream in some
> spells and one developer really can't test or support them.

This is why automating this is the suggested way.

> We need more active developers. We need to attract them. We need to be
> mentioned in Distrowatch, FreshMeat, Linux workshops/conferences, ...

This is completely OT

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Don't forget: the future is now. It's just not widely distributed yet.