sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:12:58 -0400

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik (ruskie AT codemages.net) wrote [09.10.04 05:18]:
> > How much commits, bug reports, wiki updates have they realized last
> > week, month, year?
> >

> Stats can be obtained, see ohloh.net if you need more info about commits
> and I think there was a few scripts about it as well or one liners on
> how to check who commited in the last 6 months or last year etc.

This can all be done directly from git itself (with perhaps a little
shell scripting on top to make it prettier or more narrowed down). I
believe this is what ruskie was referring to as the "one liners", but
just in case he meant something different I thought it might be good to
remind everyone that git makes this relatively easy.

> > For example now, even developers grumble that there are problems with
> > new gnome but none commits, fixes, bug reports from them.

This doesn't only happen with gnome. This happens with everything. The
problem is not where the work is done (separate topic branch or main
master branch), it's a general attitude problem of complaining about
problems rather than actually looking to solve them. This doesn't mean
that the developer who experiences the problem be the one to fix it, but
it does mean that at least we have to be willing to work together
constructively to find solutions rather than just complaining that there
is a problem and expecting someone to magically fix it.

> > Review of sm-commits list is also good for spell quality checking.
> > Sorry, but moving/integrating changes from master to xorg and vice
> > versa, revert reverted with reversing is impossible to review, the same
> > is with emails with twenty commits, impossible to review.
> >

> So go to scmweb.sourcemage.org on review the commits there one at a
> time. This is only the email format. But it can be changed to report a
> single commit at a time(iirc). File a bug with administration on getting
> the script changed.

In fact there is already a bug open for this, but it seems to have been
shoved under the proverbial rug. See bug #14832.

> > Even some developers don't run "sorcery system-update" and update spells
> > randomly and wonders there are problems.
>
> Because "sorcery system-update" is problematic in so many cases that
> people avoid it. I run it maybe once every 6 months now because the
> breakages of various packages caused were just to many. And the issue is
> the same for single spell casts as well. So yes the best way to fix this
> is to make spells actually work with single updates. Then system-update
> will work as well.

This should not even be a question of whether sorcery system-update
works. The real issue here is that it should be the user's choice about
whether they run this or not. Since when is this distro about forcing
workflows onto the user? We are supposed to provide the user with
*their* system, *their* workflow, not ours. If the user does not choose
to run sorcery system-update, that should be fine. Granted the user may
hit bugs as a result, but the mentality of trying to push everyone to
just run system-update is like making everyone have Windows Update
automatically update the system. It's a feature or option, not a
requirement.

> Don't forget our primary goal is choice to the users. The more choice
> you give them the odder, weirder, more uncommon the bugs hit become.

Exactly.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage