sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Spell quality checking
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:57:40 -0500

Donald Johnson wrote:
>> It can help some, but it still doesn't allow us to prove that it
>> works, nor does it allow us to continuously prove that stuff works
>> after new commits or version upgrades. It's a one-off test, not
>> worthless, but not useful to improve the quality of the distro over
>> the long term.
>
> Is it even possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a program will
> work and compile from one computer to another? The only way I can think
> at the moment is of is a dev or two that has a Prometheus install which
> would use cabal across different machines with different compilation
> architectures. Not entirely feasible :/

It is possible to prove that a test passes. It is possible to write a
test to prove that an individual feature built, or that the executable
was actually installed, or that the executable is linked against the
right libraries. Or that the program starts, runs against some test
data, and exits successfully and the output is accurate.

That's what I'm talking about, not a compile everything until it all
works on all platforms at all times. Break it apart into smaller chunks
and tackle it one at a time. Unit Testing.

David