sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:50:10 -0500

flux [flux AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> Mark Bainter (mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com) wrote [09.08.20 13:45]:
> > quinq AT sourcemage.org [quinq AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > last month, a new x86_64 iso has been released but there hasn’t been
> > > any feedback (or I missed it). There’s a real need for testing it, as
> > > it’s on its way to stable release, but we won’t take it there without
> > > more testing. Please take a few minutes to buy a 64b computer, test
> > > the iso, and reply to this mail that it’s perfect. ;) We need you!
> >
> > Following my install from the ISO I tried to upgrade to 2.10.1 which
> > failed on the test-installation.pl script (I haven't yet figured out
> > why). I needed to get the box back stable, because the old glibc had
> > already been dispelled it seems. So I tried to copy the cache file off
> > of the ISO to do a downgrade and the cache file is corrupt/incomplete.
>
> Is it possible that the cache file is coming up bad because your glibc
> is already hosed? If the glibc on your system is defective from the
> upgrade, then all sorts of things can go wrong. It's not clear to me
> from your wording as to whether the glibc currently on your system is
> functioning properly.

It's partially functional. Stuff compiles, but appears to have problems
when linking. It's in the middle of the install phase after what seems
to have been a successful build. (But the test suite fails at doing the
"test-installation.pl" script saying the testfile isn't a dynamic
executable)

Just to be sure though I put the cdrom in another functioning system and
tested the file and it came back corrupt there as well.