sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:58:47 -0400

Mark Bainter (mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com) wrote [09.08.20 13:45]:
> quinq AT sourcemage.org [quinq AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > last month, a new x86_64 iso has been released but there hasn’t been
> > any feedback (or I missed it). There’s a real need for testing it, as
> > it’s on its way to stable release, but we won’t take it there without
> > more testing. Please take a few minutes to buy a 64b computer, test
> > the iso, and reply to this mail that it’s perfect. ;) We need you!
>
> Following my install from the ISO I tried to upgrade to 2.10.1 which
> failed on the test-installation.pl script (I haven't yet figured out
> why). I needed to get the box back stable, because the old glibc had
> already been dispelled it seems. So I tried to copy the cache file off
> of the ISO to do a downgrade and the cache file is corrupt/incomplete.

Is it possible that the cache file is coming up bad because your glibc
is already hosed? If the glibc on your system is defective from the
upgrade, then all sorts of things can go wrong. It's not clear to me
from your wording as to whether the glibc currently on your system is
functioning properly.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage