sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:13:39 -0400

Mark Bainter (mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com) wrote [09.08.18 12:07]:
> The above LVM issue was a big one. For some reason I couldn't even do a
> rebuild of LVM w/out manually pulling a copy of the source file to the
> box. None of the mirrors would give it to me. (Probably not an ISO
> problem)

I'm quite sure this is not an ISO issue, as pulling from mirrors would
rely on the grimoire. Did you scribe update before trying to summon? If
so, then it would certainly be a bug with the version in the grimoire
you were using (perhaps stable was too stale though test would have
worked? I don't know too much about this issue). If you hadn't updated
the grimoire, then the (hopefully) simple solution would simply be to
run scribe update.

> One thing we should definitely do before release is upgrade the kernel
> to at least the 2.6.28 kernel to use/provide the official ext4 release
> code and tools. Otherwise, once you upgrade post-install you can't boot
> from the CD anymore for rescue.

Although ext4 has been included as stable in kernel series .28 and up,
the kernel series themselves as .28 and up are not so stable. The
current stable kernel series is .27, with the latest instance of that
series being .27.31. To my knowledge ext4 support is not included in the
.27 series. If it is, please feel free to file a bug and the support
forr it will definitely be included. Outside of that, I think the proper
solution would be to wait until a stable kernel series supporting ext4
comes out, or to use the kernel source for .27 as included on the ISO
(you can build your own kernel, and you can use the ISO kernel config as
a starting point - it's provided on the ISO and documented as such).

Otherwise, we would be building ISOs that would not work uniformly on
different systems (I have actually tested some of the other kernels and
ran into problems, as well as verifying different problems with other
people). Remember, the purpose of the stable ISOs is not to provide
nifty features, but to work reliably. I have really been drained of free
time to work on SMGL (as I noted I would be when I was nominated), so I
haven't been able to push out ISOs. It seems that Quentin is also
lacking in free time, so the issue is one of a lack of development. If
we had more hands working on ISOs, we could regularly release stable
ISOs, and also have time to release more featureful test/devel ISOs (or,
ideally, multiple stable ISOs with different feature sets).

If you are interested in making your own ISO with whatever features you
would like it to have, though, check:

http://www.sourcemage.org/Cauldron/Recipe

It's a fairly stable and automated process to produce a full ISO from
scratch. If you need help hacking on it, or if you find bugs, feel free
to contact myself or Quentin (and file bugs on bugzilla).

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage