sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New x86_64 ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New x86_64 ISO
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:06:59 +0100

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:28:50PM -0600, David Kowis wrote:
> George Sherwood wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 00:29:16 -0400
> >
> > After completing an install with the 0.10.0 iso, I think we should
> > consider adding at least examples to the /etc/network/interfaces file.
> > I think what would be best is to use the example network interfaces
> > file that is installed with ifupdown and only un-comment lo as it is
> > now in the example file.
> >

> Seriously. What's so hard about looking at `man interfaces`
> or looking at /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples
> It's in the install log.
>
> I got dinged for adding examples to grub. We don't do that. Even
> commented out examples.
>
> If you want to have a file there that has commented out links to the
> documentation, that's acceptable.

How about simply refering to the docs in the installer, we already tell
the user to set his interfaces file correctly, might just as well tell
him where he may find how to. I mean, in general people who know what
they need to do to setup the system disregard the whole guided setup
anyway, at least that's what I do, all I want is a prompt, some working
utilities and a tarball of a bare bones system. And by adding it to the
guided installer it doesn't clutter up system configuration files.

Or, as I just came upon the idea, why not include a help for each step
of the installer, i.e. step-help or something, like people can just run
that to get a short text on what exactly they need to do, or where they
can find more info. Stuff like this would perfectly fit in there.

Remko van der Vossen