sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Role Call

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Role Call
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 01:42:14 -0600

On Jan 29, Elisamuel Resto [samuel AT dragonboricua.net] wrote:
> and finally Shamgar (I've seen > him in IRC) and SuperDave (voted in the
> PL elections), which are around if you prod them and are kept around as
> server administrators in case David or Jeremy can't be reached.

Neither of them needs to keep developer status/git access just in case they
ever need to do server work, nor would they demand it. The server is owned
by me and donated to the distro independent of my own status, and I reserve
the right to set certain policies on its use including who I give root on
it independent of their status with the distro. That's pretty typical;
ibiblio sets terms of use for their servers, and we don't automatically
make them developers.

That having been said, both Mark (Shamgar) and Dave are highly skilled
sysadmins known in the community who are proponents of SMGL and use and
advocate it as their primary OS and develop it at least locally day to day.
If/when they have votes come up I would argue people vote to keep them
because they're exactly the kind of people we need able to commit changes
when we're lucky enough for them to have time to do so. And Mark at least
has managed to be reasonably active in IRC and do server work as his own
contribution to the distro itself vs. just being available if "David or
Jeremy can't be reached".