sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Need advice from a TeXpert

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Need advice from a TeXpert
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:21:14 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:06:46 -0600 (CST)
Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 2008, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> > What I'd do is the following:
> > 1. Check if your entry is already in the file
> > 2. If so, touch the file (since this package should modify that
> > file). If not, append the entry to the file.
> > 3. Run any update commands (e.g. updmap-sys) in FINAL
>
> That sounds like a plan. For this particular spell, the following
> map entries need to be added to web2c/updmap.cfg:
>
> Map Acorn.map
> Map AnnSton.map
> Map ArtNouvc.map
> Map ArtNouv.map
> Map Carrickc.map
> Map Eichenla.map
> Map EileenBl.map
> Map Eileen.map
> Map Elzevier.map
> Map GotIn.map
> Map GoudyIn.map
> Map Kinigcap.map
> Map Konanur.map
> Map Kramer.map
> Map MorrisIn.map
> Map Nouveaud.map
> Map Romantik.map
> Map Rothdn.map
> Map RoyalIn.map
> Map Sanremo.map
> Map Starburst.map
> Map Typocaps.map
> Map Zallman.map
>
> Should I check for each individual entry or perhaps add a comment at
> the top with the spell name and such and just search for that? Also,
> if the spell is dispelled, what's the safest way to remove the above
> entries. I think this might be one area where Gentoo's modular
> approach works well. They have an /etc/texmf/updmap.d directory where
> ebuilds for TeX fonts can add separate files which then get
> concatenated together to create the web2c/updmap.cfg file. I'm not
> sure if the utility that creates the web2c/updmap.cfg file is part of
> TeXlive or if it's something the Gentoo dev team created. It
> certainly does simplify installing separate font packages.

I'd say add markers and add them from the spell, then on dispel remove
them and all in-between.

e.g.:
# Begin KevinMagic entries
Map Acorn.map
Map AnnSton.map
Map ArtNouvc.map
Map ArtNouv.map
# End KevinMagic entries

You'll want to replace "KevinMagic" with the spell name. :)

Probably a Gentooism, though Debian does similar with other packages
(e.g. Apache), though some of those support includes (e.g. Apache) for
the packages to support it, rather than the distribution.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285