sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:12:56 +0200

On 18:43:17 2007-04-19 Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:
> On Thursday 19 April 2007 02:09:33 Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > Descriptions and various dependencies in test(i.e. spell foo depends
> > on X11-LIBS but it also needs libfoo and libbar when using -modular)
> > are the main reasons for it not being in test.
>
> While many people have xorg-modular working (including me ;)), we do
> need to make sure we have the X11-LIBS and X11-SERVER dependencies
> worked out so someone switching from xorg -> xorg-modular will not have
> any issues. We also need a metaspell that gives the equivalent
> functionality to xorg.
>
> I propose we do the following to clean up our X system:
> * Remove xfree86* (unmaintained by us for years)

agreed
> * Remove xdirectfb (unmaintained by anyone)

agreed and there is work of geting this into modular at one time
> * Use xorg as the xorg-modular metaspell that depends on all required
> packages and has optional dependencies on all the drivers/fonts/etc.

this requires runtime dependencies which atm are not in stable sorcery(the
workarounds WILL NOT WORK or provide a metaspell for drivers that depends
on xorg-server and have the user pick their driver there(not ideal imho))
xorg-server alredy includes fonts but doesn't include drivers due to this
issue and yes using xorg spell as a profile will work for transition

> * File a bug for each xorg-modular spell missing descriptions
> * File a bug for each spell using X11-LIBS or X11-SERVER that does not
> also have the corresponding check_if_xorg_modular_{libs,server} check
> and dependencies

if it's missing any at all...

> Note that this would remove all XFree86 versions of X as well as the
> monolithic X.org X in favour of modular X.org.

Finnaly
> The first two are more cleanup, but they would be nice. :) Once the

they also get us out of the hell that is maintaining two completly
different systems

> last three have been done and fixed I believe xorg-modular would be
> ready for integration with test.

That's the idea

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html
Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.

Key id = F4C1F89C
Key fingerprint = 6FF2 8F20 4C9D DB36 B5B6 F134 884D 72CC F4C1 F89C