sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xorg
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 21:38:03 +0200

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 09:43:17AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
[...]
> While many people have xorg-modular working (including me ;)), we do need
> make sure we have the X11-LIBS and X11-SERVER dependencies worked out so
> someone switching from xorg -> xorg-modular will not have any issues. We
> also
> need a metaspell that gives the equivalent functionality to xorg.
>
> I propose we do the following to clean up our X system:
> * Remove xfree86* (unmaintained by us for years)

Agreed, we simply don't have the resources to maintain two X11
implementation with completely different build systems.

> * Remove xdirectfb (unmaintained by anyone)

Agreed for the same reason.

> * Use xorg as the xorg-modular metaspell that depends on all required
> packages
> and has optional dependencies on all the drivers/fonts/etc.
> * File a bug for each xorg-modular spell missing descriptions
> * File a bug for each spell using X11-LIBS or X11-SERVER that does not also
> have the corresponding check_if_xorg_modular_{libs,server} check and
> dependencies

If we remove all monolithic X11 spells, the check_if_xorg... can all be
removed, since the only available xorg will be the modular one. That'll
make spells cleaner too.

http://www.sourcemage.org