sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/0.4 grimoire approval "issue vote"

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] stable/0.4 grimoire approval "issue vote"
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:56:29 -0500

On Jun 27, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net [seth AT swoolley.homeip.net] wrote:
> Restating my motion for clarity:
>
> Stable grimoire release can be approved one of two ways.
>
> Way one is for a unanimous vote of the following team members:
> Project Lead
> Grimoire Lead
> Grimoire QA Assistant
>
> Way two is for a vote of the General Leads as per the existing issue
> vote procedures, however this is expected to be done only in the case of
> an absense of one of the above team members (although, technically an
> issue vote may be brought for any reason).
>
> This shall be entered into the record of Administrative Policies and
> effective upon its passing.

When this vote is called I'll vote -1 on it, because:

The current policy is that the Component Lead over Grimoire (Arwed) makes
the decisions for his component, but can be overruled by an Issue Vote.
All we really need to do to make a release right now in his absence is an
Issue Vote. If that's what we want to do, we can call that vote without
needing to implement new policy. Our stated goal in setting up this voting
system was to provide a way to move things forward if discussion wasn't
doing it, but to my knowledge there's been no discussion of this one prior
to a motion to amend policy.

Given that we don't *need* to implement a new policy on releases to get a
release now, we should avoid trying to change Grimoire release policy while
Arwed is gone. I'm not in favor of doing all of the following in his
absence and without his input:

1) approving and recording a policy on how releases will happen (this
should be a matter of Grimoire Lead policy, not something that needs to
be entered into project policy)
2) creating and naming a grimoire QA assistant (correct me if I missed it,
but I've seen no actual statement from Arwed either creating that
position or saying that anyone holds it)
3) using the secondary release approval method of just going to an issue
vote anyway

If we just want a release apart from a new policy we should call a vote for
that (we'd need a vote for that since Arwed isn't here to give approval);
I'm not sure yet how I'd vote on that. I don't remember how long he'll be
gone for and given stable has waited this long on other people's schedules
I'm not sure why it can't wait a bit more til he's present to approve it.