sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:01:20 -0600

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Why? If the spells don't build, they don't get installed. You would have
> a perfectly running PostgreSQL unless its dependencies changed major
> versions, and that's a different story. I have actually made a grimoire
> on one of production systems to have GCC 4 right away, so that I don't
> have to migrate later, and it's running PorsgreSQL 8.1 :-).

Durr. Forgot about that. So you're saying you've built postgresql in gcc4?

>> big problem. Surely some cast testing could've been done to ensure that
>> fixes could've been written before this made it into test.
>>

> You said that yourself: it's a test grimoire. It's there so we can
> /find/ the bugs above in case developers missed them, isn't it?

The point I was trying to make was that this shouldn't have been missed.
I can understand that such things won't be caught if it's got an odd
combination of ./configure options.

>> I'm not sure what testing process went into making sure gcc4 was ready
>> for the mainstream set of users. It needs to include casting all spells.
>>
> It's been stuck in devel grimoire for ages. Many spells changed multiple
> versions during this time. I'm actually very happy we finally have GCC 4
> in test grimoire.

Well, I feel that a better testing process for something this critical
needs to be in place. The spells that change versions could've been
individually tested against gcc4.

My two cents.

--
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke