sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] gcc 4.0.1 complaints
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:17:15 -0500

David Kowis wrote:
Those are three spells that I've encountered that don't build in gcc4
most notably of which is postgresql. I'm glad I didn't simply do a
sorcery system-update on my fileserver before testing all this. I'd have
ended up with a useless website as I would have no postgresql. This is a

Why? If the spells don't build, they don't get installed. You would have a perfectly running PostgreSQL unless its dependencies changed major versions, and that's a different story. I have actually made a grimoire on one of production systems to have GCC 4 right away, so that I don't have to migrate later, and it's running PorsgreSQL 8.1 :-).

big problem. Surely some cast testing could've been done to ensure that
fixes could've been written before this made it into test.

You said that yourself: it's a test grimoire. It's there so we can /find/ the bugs above in case developers missed them, isn't it?

I'm not sure what testing process went into making sure gcc4 was ready
for the mainstream set of users. It needs to include casting all spells.
It's been stuck in devel grimoire for ages. Many spells changed multiple versions during this time. I'm actually very happy we finally have GCC 4 in test grimoire.

Sergey.