sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "suggested_depends" . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "suggested_depends" . . .
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:09:05 -0700

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 03:04:51PM -0700, Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:45:06PM +0200, Mads Laursen wrote:
> > On 27/09/05 08.43, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > > How about just 'suggest espgs', possibly in a SUGGESTED file.
> >
> > Then a 'suggest' would be the inverse of an 'optional_depends'? So
> > if cups has 'suggest espgs' and espgs has 'optional_depends cups'
> > I could cast cups and be asked, if I wanted to have espgs with that?
> > That would be cool - and even cooler if cast would then know to answer
> > yes to the optional_depends?
> >
> > Just putting down the fist thing that came to mind, after reading this
> > thread.
>
> 'suggest' isnt the inverse, it doesnt imply any ordering.
> It wouldnt be any different than saying 'cast cups espgs'.
>
> Cast already does some looking around for reasonable defaults to
> optional_depends. If you cast cups, then said yes to the suggestion of
> espgs, cast would later process espgs's depends (as it would if it was
> specified on the cli). When espgs runs optional_depends cups, cast will
> notice cups is already being cast and set the default to yes*.
>
> -Andrew
>
> * If the question was previously answered with no, or theres a 'sorcery
> default' setting, it overrides aforementioned check.

I think he wanted the question to go away completely since you already
announced your intention to link the two together by not casting it in
the first place. That's debatable though, so probably we should just
leave out his request for those people who might complain as the default
setup will merely be asking them later what the true intentions were and
giving a sane default anyways, as you point out.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733