sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "suggested_depends" . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "suggested_depends" . . .
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:07:22 -0700

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 02:51:09PM -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 11:45:06PM +0200, Mads Laursen wrote:
> > On 27/09/05 08.43, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > > How about just 'suggest espgs', possibly in a SUGGESTED file.
> >
> > Then a 'suggest' would be the inverse of an 'optional_depends'? So
> > if cups has 'suggest espgs' and espgs has 'optional_depends cups'
> > I could cast cups and be asked, if I wanted to have espgs with that?
> > That would be cool - and even cooler if cast would then know to answer
> > yes to the optional_depends?
> >
> > Just putting down the fist thing that came to mind, after reading this
> > thread.
>
> This would work, unless it wasn't optional but a hard depends, in which
> case, it wouldn't be needed. I suppose we could just write the
> persistence entry into the database and not care if there's extra cruft
> related to suggestions in it. Or we could have a temporary suggestion
> store for the life of the cast that's checked later. That would be a
> bit cleaner if not as intuitive.

Suggestions would probably be stored the same way depends are now, just
with a suggest attribute instead of an optional or required one. Then
the semantics stay the same as they do for optional_depends, and dispel
--orphan can optionally remove them. They idea was that they'd be exactly
like optional_depends in almost every way, except for ordering.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |