sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.9.4-test5 x86/ppc/x86-64 are out

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT smgl.positivism.org
  • To: David Braaten <c_xiticix AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO 0.9.4-test5 x86/ppc/x86-64 are out
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 13:04:21 -0700

On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:33:56PM -0700, David Braaten wrote:

> Well, I was about to complain that I couldn't login
> after installing x86-64 version of the ISO, but
> in the 10 minutes it took me to read the previous
> reports on test5, the login went through.
>
> I think it could be because of the 'mail check'.

Please track this down if you can and file a bug :)

> The other issue is editing the boot configuration.
> lilo is the only choice for x86_64, so I don't
> know if choosing grub does something different,
> but it does not prompt me to edit lilo.conf until
> after it installs lilo to the MBR/boot partition, and
> after it prompts me to edit lilo.conf, it does not
> run lilo again to set the new configuration.
> I'd like to be able to edit the conf before it
> installs so I can boot more than just the last
> partition I installed to.

Yes, that needs some work, and grub does not work on x86_64 due to grub
requiring a 32-bit compilation environment. While lilo is 32-bit, at
least it can be compiled in a 64-bit environment with bin86, which is
small, so we support lilo on that platform.

Please file a bug on what you noticed with the bootloader installation.

Personally I've been waiting for the next generation iso as we've had a
bunch of work there before trying out the bitrot in the old bootloader
code -- it seems to have regressed in the current version, as I
installed my last install's bootloader by hand on my new laptop.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
Quality Assurance Team Leader; Security Team Member, Leader Emeritus
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Elected Coordinating Committee Member, Secretary, and Finances Chair
Pacific Green Party of Oregon - Peace - http://www.pacificgreens.org