sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] "staging" grimoire instead of devel for development spells as opposed to WIP spells?
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:07:26 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:47:31AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>:
> > I package a devel grimoire every hour on my server that people may use,
> > but perhaps there is another way around this problem.
> >
> > The idea was to get people on test grimoire as too many people were
> > using devel and not using test and then complaining of breakage.
> >
> > Devel then became a staging ground of where we put things when we don't
> > want to break a usable test grimoire.
> >
> > This can easily be fixed with a "staging" grimoire. In the staging
> > grimoire we can put things like development gcc and development glibc
> > and development gnome before they go into test, the only reason they are
> > not in test being that there's an interaction with it and other spells.
> > If there's an interaction within itself that causes problems, it goes
> > into devel with WIP instead of staging.
> >
> > We can then make the staging grimoire public with instructions to add it
> > after their regular grimoires and use scribbler to pull spells in front
> > of test into a custom grimoire so they can run it.
> >
> > We can call it "staging" or "queue" or anything else, but I think
> > "staging" is a pretty rational name.
> >
> > I'm going to put this on sm-discuss for feedback and bcc everybody else.
> >
> > Seth
>
> This sounds like adding yet another layer of grimoires, do we truly want to
> do
> this? I'd rather keep our current method where anyone can get test and
> stable
> easily (already supported with a `scribe add <grimoire>`), but if people
> want
> to help test devel we can post the spells we want tested to sm-discuss, post
> our own grimoires (e.g. the rsync://sandall.us::sandalle grimoire) with the
> test spells, or point the intrepid volunteers to where the devel grimoire is
> hosted.
>
> I think adding another layer to our grimoires would just slow down the
> process
> and make it more cumbersome for no (IMO) valid reason.
>
> -sandalle

I totally concur here. I think stable grimoire is already not "stable"
enough so the efforts should be concentrated on improving the quality of
test and stable grimoires. The developement and testing of really
experimental stuff should be left for confirmed gurus like you two or
for really motivated ppl who can still access Sandalle grimoire or
yours. Maybe a wiki page (unless it's already done) on how to access
both your grimoires would be adequate.

Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.