sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg 3D acceleration settings... anyone got recommendations ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg 3D acceleration settings... anyone got recommendations ?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 07:55:26 +0000

> Anyway, according to what you wrote here, the dri spell replaces both
> the ati and nvidia drivers. What about the nvidia_headers spell. Does it
> replace that too?

No, read again... item number 2 below...

> If so, why does the dri home page, under hardware notes for nvidia state
> that it does not work with nvidia cards?
> http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/nVidia?
> action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware

Because it doesn't, see item nubmer 2 below.

> How does this driver compare with nvidia's driver in quality (i realize
> it's still kinda beta? I don't run the latest games but some of the
> playing around i do with video does us opengl stuff.

It doesn't, which is why you use dri spell for some cards, ati_driver
for others and nvida spells for those graphics cards... again, see gaze
section kernel and item #2 for the spells.

> > Howdy all,
> >
> > See ruski, if anyone has a wiki page somewhere then he might as author
> > and master of the dri spell.
> >
> > As far as tips, you need to have (in this order I believe):
> >
> > 1) kernel support for your chipset (your motherboard, not your graphics
> > card chipset!). Turn off all drm kernel stuff.
> >
> > 2) running the above kernel, you then need to get graphics card support
> > from either ati_driver (binary spell), nvidia stuff (binary spells) or
> > use the dri spell which will query you for your cards.

erics
--
Eric D. Schabell M.Sc. - Z-Rejected Guru - http://www.sourcemage.org
irc: irc.freenode.net (#sourcemage), nick -> erics