sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] sorcery md5sum checking

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] sorcery md5sum checking
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:01:02 -0700

Devel (and in a few days test) sorcery users can turn their cleanse
--fix md5sum checking back on.

As many of you are aware of the md5sum checking in devel/test sorcery is
overly strict. This is mostly due to files being modified by different
spells. For example a bunch of spells modify /usr/share/info/dir, but
only the last spell to install has the correct md5sum; all the previously
installed spells are wrong. Cleanse --fix would notice and recast all
those other spells, thus breaking all the spells except for the current
one . The end result is that you never get a "clean" pass. I filed bug
7327 on this.

I've fixed this now and since it was a fairly well spoken of issue I'll
explain whats different now.

When an md5sum is found to be different sorcery looks through all
the md5sum logs (for installed spells only) for the installed file's
md5sum. If we find the file living in some other spell's md5sum log we
assume that 1) the current spell no longer owns the file 2) the spell(s)
we found it in now own the file.

We then remove the "possessed" file from the current spell's install
and md5sum logs, and place the name of the file in a new log file in
/var/log/possessed/$SPELL-$VERSION. This possessed log will be cleansable
through cleanse --logs, and for now is only for informational
purposes. Someday it may be used in dispel or something.

I'll send these changes off to devel shortly, and I'll push them to test
sorcery in three days. Let me know if it isnt working.

-Andrew

|Andrew D. Stitt | astitt at sourcemage.org |
|irc: afrayedknot | afrayedknot at t.armory.com |
|aim: thefrayedknot or iteratorplusplus | |
|Sorcery Team Lead, Porting Team Lead | |
|Grimoire Guru ham/smgl | ftp://t.armory.com |
|Author and Maintainer of Prometheus | |

  • [SM-Discuss] sorcery md5sum checking, Andrew, 09/28/2004