sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg 3D acceleration settings... anyone got recommendations ?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "MailingList, SM-Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xorg 3D acceleration settings... anyone got recommendations ?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 07:49:41 +0000

> Anyone got any recommendations for 3D or other acceleration settings ?
>
> Xorg / Framebuffer / other?
>
> as I have only managed to get the Xorg settings working ONCE to have any
> form of 3D acceleration instead of having dog slow responses from
> non-glxgears programs...
>
> maybe a wiki based reference of such things would be useful ?
> or reference to an existing wiki?(if such a thing exists!?!?)

Howdy all,

See ruski, if anyone has a wiki page somewhere then he might as author
and master of the dri spell.

As far as tips, you need to have (in this order I believe):

1) kernel support for your chipset (your motherboard, not your graphics
card chipset!). Turn off all drm kernel stuff.

2) running the above kernel, you then need to get graphics card support
from either ati_driver (binary spell), nvidia stuff (binary spells) or
use the dri spell which will query you for your cards.

3) you need to ensure your xorg.conf has a dri section:

# DRI Section
Section "dri"
Mode 0666
EndSection

These steps are the basics I follow for all kinds of accellerated cards,
I hope it helps,

erics