sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cast xfree86 won't quite finish up...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cast xfree86 won't quite finish up...
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:11:24 +0100

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:03:12PM -0800, Marc Greene wrote:
> Hey SM gurus and users... it's been quite a while since I've posted here,
> some of you may remember me... Anyway, I updated my box for the first
> time in maybe 8 months and I'm running into a few issues. A couple of
> spells are hanging right at the end of the cast such as xfree86. The
> compile and install part finishes after 2-3 hours or so, then it takes
> forever to make the cache file:
>
> --
> make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc.bld/doc/man/GLU'
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc.bld/doc/man'
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc.bld/doc'
> perl ./config/util/mkhtmlindex.pl /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/html
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc.bld'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xc.bld'
> Installing xdm to runlevel 5...
> script xdm installed and enabled. Disable with 'telinit disable xdm'.
> Installing xdm.sh to runlevel 5...
> script xdm.sh installed and disabled. Enable with 'telinit enable
> xdm.sh'.
> Creating /var/log/sorcery/compile/xfree86-4.3.0.1.bz2
> Creating install log /var/log/sorcery/install/xfree86-4.3.0.1
> --
>
> This is the point where it's been sitting for about 10 hours now, HDD
> light flashing away. I can see the tar file being created in /tmp, it's
> about 111 megs now and still slowly growing:
>
> root@Sorcerer:~# ls /tmp/xfree86-4.3.0.1-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116643840 Feb 2 12:52
> /tmp/xfree86-4.3.0.1-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar
>
> root@Sorcerer:~# ls /tmp/xfree86-4.3.0.1-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116736000 Feb 2 13:56
> /tmp/xfree86-4.3.0.1-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar
>
> So I'm wondering if the cast is ever going to finish and bzip that file
> (I have my doubts), and why it's taking so long.

xfree and gcc both install a lot of files, and the creation of the
tarball was changed, it now processes the files one by one instead of in
bigger chunks, which seems to be much slower. Any sorcery guru wanna
take a look at libsorcery? The change is from revision #32 to #33.
It will definitely finish some time though :)

> 'cast gcc' gave me similar behavior as well. All other spells seem to
> cast flawlessly (so far, still haven't tried the kernel yet).
>
> Any ideas? As the install did complete, I can run startx and all, but the
> problem is when I try to, for instance 'cast imlib2', it thinks it still
> has to compile xfree86. 'gaze installed xfree86' still says:
>
> xfree86:
> not installed

Spells only get added to the list of installed spells when the cast is
finished, including the archive creation.

> Also, I had to copy the xdm script in .../x11-libs/xfree86/init.d to
> xdm.sh to keep the cast from complaining that it couldn't find the
> xdm.sh file and no RUNLEVEL variable being set (sorry, I forgot to copy
> the exact error and I prolly should have mv'd it instead of cp'ing, oh
> well). A bug maybe?

The init script was named xdm.sh a long time ago, but was renamed for
lsb compliance. Maybe the configuration on your system still thought it
was named like that, although i don't know why it would, since the init
script installation/configuration was changed quite a bit since that
rename happened.