sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] cast xfree86 won't quite finish up...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Marc Greene <marcg AT phreaker.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] cast xfree86 won't quite finish up...
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:14:14 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Andrew wrote:

> > My box is almost completely up to date now (test grimoire, devel
> > sorcery), so I don't know why this problem would be specific to my
> > system. The cast did finish successfully though, and I don't use xdm
> > anyway :)
>
> Thank you for going through with updating your box after 8 months
> (instead of reinstalling or going elsewhere). Its now proof to help us
> dispel the myth that incredibly out of date machines are hopeless.

It was absolutely my pleasure, and it's not the first time I've updated
after letting my machine go for months. In fact, I've only installed SM
once on this box, back in Jan of 2002 when it was still 'Sorcerer'. My
rescue/install cd (which I still use) says 20020117.iso, and I've never
had to burn another ('cept for a friend).

Of course there is always some tweaking that must be done by hand when
updating an out of date system but that's part of the fun!

Marc