sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] List etiquette

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Terry Ross <terry AT timestorm.ross.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] List etiquette
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:14:30 -0800

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:43:48 -0800
Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> I was just wondering what people think of making up a list etiquette to put
> on
> the wiki?
>
> I'm thinking of this rule atm:
>
> When replying, please reply only to the list and not individual people
> (unless
> they mention that they are not on the list and that you should CC them),
> otherwise those subscribed get the e-mail twice, which is annoying.
>
> Or am I the one who's off on etiquette? I notice that on LKML it's standard
> just hit "Reply All" and include everyone and their mother (if she
> commented on
> said thread) when replying.
>
> -sandalle

Sounds ok, with gentle hints on how to reply to the mailing list only.
In Sylpheed, it's Ctrl-L - or you can add it to your menu bar with:
Configuration >> Other Preferences >> Customize Toolbars >> Main Window and
add an icon with the 'Event Executed on Click' of: Reply To Mailing List

I'm a tend to reply at the top to make it easier for people to see my post,
but I'm perfectly willing to post at the bottom (which I'm doing right now,
since people have mentioned on IRC that they prefer it this way) if that is
what gets posted on the wiki as the proper ettiquette.

Terry
--
Terry Ross | qnr | <terry AT aliboom.com> | http://linux.aliboom.com
GnuPG Key fingerprint = AC11 C1C3 0371 D4E6 50CD 1285 D041 AD9F 68C4 06C2