sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] List etiquette

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] List etiquette
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:17:13 -0800

Quoting Robin Sheat <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>:
> Depends on the nature of the list, I have a few that I browsed the
> archives of, and posted to with a note saying to 'please CC me'. usually
> devel lists for things.
>
> However, I think that if a list is predominantly discussion-oriented, it
> really should have reply-to mangling so that the problem doesn't come
> up.

I subscribe to every list I post to, that way I can keep up with changes,
though
I don't always read them and sometimes I unsubscribe months later. The
reply-to
mangling is a no-no (from what I've read) as that breaks the standard for
mailing lists (reply should reply to the author, reply all should reply to
everyone involved (except BCC's), and reply to list (which some mail clients
don't have, such as IMP :(), should reply to the list only).

It's a good idea for making things easy, but I think breaking standards is
wrong.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61