sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Experiences of a newcomer to SMGL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Experiences of a newcomer to SMGL
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 23:05:17 -0700

On Thursday 29 May 2003 02:54 pm, Rene Schneider wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [ S N I P ]
>
> 3. The backround execute caused me some trouble. While installing a large
> number of packages (soon after initial install) a menu popped up to select
> the languages for some I18N (kde-i18n or locale, or both?), however it
> didn't take any input (due to incompatibility of tee and menu program?). I
> had to kill it from an other console. This might also be related to the
> voyeur option.

I have been thinking that all spells should strive for some level automation,
removing the dialog-based portions wherever possible. That way spells can be
upgrade or recast (on a rebuild, for instance) without someone constantly
watching for pop up dialogs.

While I'm sure some spells are far better served by using a dialog-based
configuration, I'm also sure that there are spells that could live w/o them.
As an example, I converted the mgetty spell from a dialog-based configuration
to a straight Q&A configuration, so that it could be re-cast w/o monitoring
it.

At the very least the spell could set a variable in $SPELL_CONFIG and then
check for that variable on subsequent casts, either asking if they want to
reconfigure or not asking. That would allow for an upgrade or a rebuild to
complete unattended.

--
Jason Flatt
E-mail (remove the spaces): jason @ flattfamily . com