sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Experiences of a newcomer to SMGL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Experiences of a newcomer to SMGL
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 06:51:02 -0700

On Saturday 31 May 2003 12:50 am, M.L. wrote:
> On Samedi 31 Mai 2003 08:05, Jason Flatt wrote:
>
> > At the very least the spell could set a variable in $SPELL_CONFIG and
> > then check for that variable on subsequent casts, either asking if they
> > want to reconfigure or not asking. That would allow for an upgrade or a
> > rebuild to complete unattended.
>
> About dialog-based config, what if they store config vars in $SPELL_CONFIG
> ? They won't come up on next update, right (or maybe I'm missing something
> ) ?
>

> Bye,
> Mat.

As an example, if you take a look at the CONFIGURE script for apache2, you'll
see part of what I'm talking about. There it simply checks to see if it's
been configured. If it has, the recast continues on using the previously set
values. If you cast with a -r, sorcery removes the
/etc/sorcery/local/depends/$SPELL file and you get to reconfigure the spell
as if it were the first time.

To take it one step further, would be to ask if the user wanted to
reconfigure
with a default answer of "n", like the linux and xfree86 spells currently do.

--
Jason Flatt
E-mail (remove the spaces): jason @ flattfamily . com