sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] loopback device

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • To: "M.L." <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: Simon Middleton <simon AT theultraworld.org>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] loopback device
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 13:56:53 -0500

M.L. wrote:
On Dimanche 3 Novembre 2002 15:30, Simon Middleton wrote:

if you're using a recent networking.sh script, you need the folowing
interface definition file:

I had that but it was still not working. A bit of fiddling suggests
an error in the networking.sh script.

if [ $# -le 2 ]; then
devices=$(ls $netdevdir | grep ^eth)
else
devices=$(echo $@ | sed s/$1//)
fi

I think the -le should be -lt ?

-- Simon.

Hum... I bet your networking.sh is obsolete. Here it is version
20021020... maybe you should update init.d spell.

That's the same version I've got. And actually my change doesn't fix the
problem. It allows networking.sh to control lo but still doesn't bring it
up on boot as $devices is filtered to only affect eth* devices anyway.
Removing the '| grep ^eth' fixes that but something tells me I'm hacking
the wrong bit here.

Still my system is working so I'll not worry about it if it's not happening
to anyone else and hope the next update cures it.

Oh wait, I remember, Neal fixed this, I should be in the next release I guess... right Neal ?

Thats the old networking script alright. I think this is my bad. I didn't increment the version number on net-tools, but I thought that i had updated the date and that would key the update process, obviously not. Unless something happened to prevent net-tools from completing the cast? no, that wouldn't do it. dang. Look at the /etc/init.d/hostname.sh and see if it has a smgl-version on it, if it does and you have the old networking script, check the version of the init.d spell and ls the net-tools spell directory and see if it has the changes in there...

Anyway, Simon, "cast -c net-tools" should fix it. The new networking script should be in there, along with the changes we made for it's proper usage. Not sure what happened that you didn't get it. The devel grimoire has the changes, and they were made at the same time to both init.d and net-tools. Sorry for the screw up.

I moved networking.sh back to net-tools for a variety of reasons, main one being consistancy. The original lo device was started in the hostname.sh file (no idea why, maybe kyle knows) and part of the change was to add it (lo) to the networking.sh and to add the corresponding device file lo.dev to /etc/sysconfig/network; the latest net-tools change should provide it.

Casey has written a really nifty script to help create and manage the networking device files, gonna add that to the net-tools also in a few days. (I have to learn CVS first, unless perforce will let me do it's thing.) We shouldn't have to cast net-tools to change add or remove device files.

It's been a hectic week at home for me, it's my only excuse. I am sorry for the glitch!

neal

--
"You can fool some of the people all of the time
--and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"