sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] loopback device

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "M.L." <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "Simon Middleton" <simon AT theultraworld.org>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] loopback device
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 14:23:24 +0100

On Dimanche 3 Novembre 2002 13:08, Simon Middleton wrote:
> Somewhere along the line of adding bits to my system I've got the point
> where the loopback device is no longer being brought up on startup. I have
> to manually do a
>
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
>
> Anyone any ideas what's happened? Where should this be happening anyway?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Simon.

Hi Simon,

if you're using a recent networking.sh script, you need the folowing
interface
definition file:
cat /etc/sysconfig/network/lo
# config file for eth1
# use dynamic or static for MODE=
# dynamic and static both require:
# MODULE= kernel module for eth1
# static requires the following in addition:
# IP= ip address of eth1 (if you have one, MODE=static)
# BROADCAST= broadcast address
# NETMASK= netmask address
# GATEWAY= gateway address
MODULE=
MODE=static
IP=127.0.0.1
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
GATEWAY=

So you can control loopbacks interfaces.

Bye,
Mat.