poly-p-ux - Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586

poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Poly-p man <polypolyman AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:31:25 -0400

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 01:18:52 am Joseph Mulloy wrote:
> As you probably already know, you can build an i386 version and load it on
> any system that supports at least the same instruction set. You can use the
> 486 or any other machine as a build machine and then load the finished
> product onto the 386. I know there were a lot of features added from i386
> up through i686 but if you want to get a release out the door, how about
> concentrating on just i386. An i386 build will run on any system, that way
> everyone can get something, then we can optimize. Config files would be
> good.
basically, config files are the only difference... I already have those :D
> I'm trying to get gcc to by coping it from an i386 build root image
> available from the uClibc website (the link is in the FAQ, Is a
> pre-compiled uClibc development system available?). I'll try to make a gcc
> package to make this easier.
meh... too hard... just use a buildroot (or anything else - lilo is mostly
bin86 code, if not entirely static anyway)...

It's not too hard to add arches, it's mostly hard to do the few packages that
are annoying... lilo, for example.

Tomorrow (I'll go to sleep soon - if motion detecting on the sixaxis doesn't
kill me first :D) I'll work on the release...

...btw, so far, 386 has given me troubles every time... back in the 0.20
days,
it actually killed my host system slowly to chroot into the system! This
time, I'm having a bit of trouble - I've been too lazy to try much, tho.

poly-p man