poly-p-ux - Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586

poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Poly-p man <polypolyman AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:39:54 -0400

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 07:04:18 pm Joseph Mulloy wrote:
> Is it possible to get gcc onto my poly-p-ux installation? I'm going to try
> using build root to cross compile things on my Gentoo laptop and see if I
> can get the to run on the Pentium box. I'm going to start with links, I've
> managed to get it's dependencies down to glibc, obviously I'm going to have
> to get it compiled statically or against uClibc which would be preferred
> since we want to minimize our memory footprint. What version of build root
> did you use for i586 0.01? I will try with the latest svn version but If I
> can download the same version you have then it will be more compatible. It
> may help the project if we could get a build system bundled up into a
> tarball for people to download. It will also help if people want to build
> applications for the system, then they can make them available and they can
> be packaged. As for lilo do you have anything in progress that you can make
> available or should I just grab sources from the lilo site? If you could
> make your build root config files available that would be immensely
> helpful. Thanks.
>
> Joseph Mulloy
>
> jdmulloy AT gmail.com

shouldn't matter - stuff's binary compatible for the most part (uclibc hasn't
bumped versions...

Anyway, except for my vacation this weekend, I'll be working on 1.0... It's
pretty much done, and it could DEFINITELY be sped along if someone (you :P )
could compile me LILO binaries - this is what's holding me back right now.

As for your other message - I finally was bullied into 686 by all the people
in OTW complaining about how old their pentium 2 boxen are... and as no one
ever says - give the people what they want!

I'll give the modules.autoload a shot on my 486... I seem to remember I had
major trouble with IFS being wrong last time - I think modprobe needs all the
options as seperate argv's... I might as well throw the modules.autoload code
into the c part anyway (snailit is VERY nice, I might add!)

One of my biggest issues in the past has been text-mode browsers being mean
me - If you could work on that (after getting LILO to work, of course :D ),
that would be lovely.

Oh, and yes, grub DOES run slowly on my 486 - not to mention my 386 :P

poly-p man