poly-p-ux - Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586

poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Joseph Mulloy" <jdmulloy AT gmail.com>
  • To: poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:18:52 -0400

As you probably already know, you can build an i386 version and load it on any system that supports at least the same instruction set. You can use the 486 or any other machine as a build machine and then load the finished product onto the 386. I know there were a lot of features added from i386 up through i686 but if you want to get a release out the door, how about concentrating on just i386. An i386 build will run on any system, that way everyone can get something, then we can optimize. Config files would be good. I'm trying to get gcc to by coping it from an i386 build root image available from the uClibc website (the link is in the FAQ, Is a pre-compiled uClibc development system available?). I'll try to make a gcc package to make this easier.

Joseph Mulloy

jdmulloy AT gmail.com

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Poly-p man <polypolyman AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
On Tuesday 05 August 2008 11:26:43 pm Joseph Mulloy wrote:
> I have managed to get a very basic version of links running on my box. It
> was actually an option in build root, I just copied over the binary and it
> works, I compiled it for 386, can't test it obviously but I believe it
> should work.
386 binaries should work on all systems... right?
> Do you want me to send you a copy?
why not? :D
> Also ifup usually
> segfaults,
Known issue - it's bash's fault, actually. First off, stop using ifup (use
ifconfig, udhcpc for dhcp), and secondly, 1.0 will use busybox ash entirely.

Seems bash + uclibc + kernel > 2.6.24 segfaults randomly. That's why I started
writing my init, before realizing it was a bash issue :D

> I'll try working on LILO, but it
> would be helpful if I had a toolchain and compiler on the box.

True... currently I have my 486 with a full compiler - makes lilo nicely - of
course, this will make 486 binaries, so no dice.

If you want to build everything with full compiler support, I'll upload the
config files, and you can save me about 2/3s of the compile time for
release :P

poly-p man