poly-p-ux - [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586

poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Joseph Mulloy" <jdmulloy AT gmail.com>
  • To: poly-p-ux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Poly-p-ux] Hi all just installed poly-p-ux on a 586
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 01:56:38 -0400

Hi all I've just installed poly-p-ux on the oldest working machine I
have. It's a Gateway G5-233. Here are the specs.

233 MHz Pentium-MMX
32 MB 66 MHz SD-RAM
2564 MB Quantum Fireball HD

I know it's at the upper end of what poly-p-ux is supposed to be for
but it runs nice.

You may have seen me on the Gentoo Forums as jdmulloy. I thought I'd
give this thing a try on real hardware. I've attached some edited init
scripts to this email. I made the swap script use /etc/fstab to
configure swap instaed of hard coding it into the script. All I needed
there was the -a flag for swapon which actually does the work. I also
made the modules script loop through a list of modules in
/etc/modules.autoload to load kernel modules on boot. Hope you like
it.

Is there anything that needs to be worked on? Any thing you need
tested on i586? Can I get a copy of the build environment? Thanks.

It's nice to have this old box doing something useful again. At some
point I'm going to see if I can get links to run on it, unless anyone
knows of an even smaller browser.

I wrote this email on my Pentium box running poly-p-ux on links
running on my server which I'm accessing over ssh.

--
Joseph Mulloy

jdmulloy AT gmail.com
#!/bin/sh
#
# do my swap....
#
# 8/5/08: Joe Mulloy: jdmulloy at g mail
# Changed swapon /dev/hda2 to swapon -a to use fstab
# and make script more generic
#

start() {
echo "Turning on the swap..."
#Turn on all swap based on/etc/ fstab
swapon -a
}
stop() {
echo "Turning off the swap..."
#Turn off all swap devices
swapoff -a
}
restart() {
stop
start
}

case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
restart|reload)
restart
;;
*)
echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart}"
exit 1
esac

exit $?
#!/bin/sh
#
# I was going to have something cool here, but it didn't work. Sorry!
# poly-p man
#
# 8/5/08: Joe Mulloy: jdmulloy at g mail
# Made script do something. Reads list of modules to autoload from
# /etc/modules.autoload and runs modprobe on each item in the list.
# Very basic does not strip out comments or empty lines.
#
start() {
echo "Autoloading Kernel Modules..."
MODULES=`cat /etc/modules.autoload`
for module in "$MODULES"
do
echo "Loading module $module..."
modprobe $module
done
}

stop() {
echo "This does nothing, only here to keep bash happy"

}
restart() {
stop
start