pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Dryadella edwallii and some others

  • From: "Lynn O'Shaughnessy" <freespirit@pleurothallids.com>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Dryadella edwallii and some others
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:40:24 -0000

My experience with Dryadellas in general is that they do not like to be kept
wet at the roots. They like to be watered and then dry out. I had tried
all sorts of potting medium with little success. When I decided to mount
them, they picked up quite a bit. With mounting, they can be misted/watered
to get the medium wet, but the medium usually dries out quicker - more to
their liking.

As far as leaves rubbing on something, you are probably right. I have my
draculas and many scaphosepalums in baskets and if leaf touches the wire, I
will many times get a black spot eventually since there is a gently breeze
in the greenhouse.

As for the dracula, perhaps the leaves are growing sideways because the
light in general is not coming from the top, but rather from the side.
Leaves generally grow towards the light.

Lynn O