pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia limax (orchid club)

  • From: Michael Shrom <shrommj@ptd.net>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org, frognet@frognet.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Masdevallia limax (orchid club)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:36:13 -0500

Last night at orchid club I got to become acquainted with Dr. Eduardo Sanchez. His talk was interesting and entertaining. He has a good sense of humor and is a top notch expert on orchids. When he is hiking the Andes and comes across a llama he says "Como se llama." They reply "Me llama llama." He has a few other good jokes.

Luckily Dr. Sanchez didn't bring my orchids to the meeting. Somehow with lecturing different places and delivering plants mine got left behind. I got to go to the house where Dr. Sanchez was staying to pick up my orchids and spend some extra time with him. After I told him about my frogs he told me he sees lots of Dendrobates where he lives. After I paid for the orchids I ordered I was given some extras for my trouble. Dr. Sanchez kept apollogising for forgetting my plants. I was thrilled to get to spend more time with this knowledgeable expert.

I got Masdevallia patula, M. hirtzii, M. limax, Restripia lansbergii, Pleurothallis macroblepharis, Dracula lotax, Lepanthes calodyction, Stellis sp., and 2 Lepanthes sp. Every plant was already mounted on tree fern. I will be keeping all of them in terrariums that get misted daily and have computer fans. The gift that I'm concerned about is the Masdevallia limax. This is a high altitude plant that likes it cool. What should I do with it in my intermediate to warm terrarium? Are their any other orchids on the list that jump out at you as a problem plant? As you might remember I'm pretty new at keeping orchids in terrariums. My collection got jump started yesterday.

Thanks
Michael Shrom
Ephrata,Pennsylvania