permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Organic Research, Promotion, and Information Order

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Organic Research, Promotion, and Information Order
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2017 09:34:59 -0500

Steve, LL and others following this thread,

Now that organics are big business, chemical companies are growing “organic”
too. Scotts (maker of Miracle Grow) last year acquired a well established
hydroponics company (General Organics)to capitalize on the indoor growing
that is now popular. Grow houses are in vogue in urban areas. To require soil
for all “organic” labeling is necessary. Human health and favorable food
qualities rely on soil. Taking aquaponics aside, most grow hydroponic or
aeroponic conditions are sterile, among other shortcomings. Soil’s inherent
value is not apparent to most people and ”terroir” or "bio-nutrient density”
are not commonly discussed. In public school science books, soil is part of
the Non-Living World.

Here is a research portal I found while reading "USDA Awards $6.7 Million for
Research to Support Healthy Agroecosystems”:

ARBUSCULAR MYCORRHIZAL FUNGI AND SUSTAINABLE AGROECOSYSTEM RESEARCH IN NORTH
CAROLINA
http://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0209455-arbuscular-mycorrhizal-fungi-and-sustainable-agroecosystem-research-in-north-carolina.html

<http://portal.nifa.usda.gov/web/crisprojectpages/0209455-arbuscular-mycorrhizal-fungi-and-sustainable-agroecosystem-research-in-north-carolina.html>

Checkout this link to learn how USDA frames the discussion of global and US
food supply:
https://medium.com/usda-results/ch11-ad478971cba7#.g8ai6w774
<https://medium.com/usda-results/ch11-ad478971cba7#.g8ai6w774>

Mainstream Climate Adaptation report:
at http://kresge.org/climate-adaptation <http://kresge.org/climate-adaptation>

Returning to small-scale agriculture will be a necessity, not a choice.

For Soil Health,
Claudia