permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 13 Acres in NZ

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 13 Acres in NZ
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 22:37:57 -0500

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 13 acres...river alluvial...just spent 60 hrs on the 14 ton digger doing
> flood retention ponds and swales and flloodways. I'm presently looking at a

That is a great plan. I hope it all goes together well. I did something
similar with a large farm tractor and many implements and a medium sized
skid loader: as you said, retention ponds (3), swales/dams/berms/terraces
and the floodways directed at the ponds; excess rainfall carefully
channeled into the ponds from wherever on the property.it originates. I
will post some pix to illustrate the functionality of the overall system.

small flood channel that meanders through the property to design a
> temperate zone chanampa...or real aquaponic system.

Will there be eels in the chinampas? There is a big market for eels in
Japan.

I would really like to do this also but my soil ios too permeable to hold
water long enough to support the garden component. I am lucky to keep water
in the retention ponds.

> Put a few Sth Devon
> Bulls on to process pasture, manure one paddock, chooks have started White
> Orpingtons. Have ordered a range of trees for next planting season
> including 800 apple pear plum and 200 avocado.

Wonderful!

> My 4 yr old daughter
> conducted her first inpromtu garden tour the other day for a visitor and
> with her 2 yr old sister put together a salad for lunch consisting of 40
> different species.

Now that is living right. Proper salads, the true staff of life! I plan on
a big salad and greens garden this coming Spring
and hopefully plenty of corn, tomatoes, peppers and onions.

> Also in the middle of converting an old cow shed /
> shearing shed into a dwelling..all off grid....a shed it will remain for
> authorities to dwell on...so its all go ...just printed off an AO size

Right.

> survey plan to draw up the design for presentation purposes.

I would like to see that.

> We will be
> reincarnating the original Permaculture Institute of NZ soon and may seek
> collaboration with Larry n Scott et al for a branch of their Academy. But,
> there is only 36 hrs in a day....all good..Steve Hart

That must be done and the sooner the better. You have my recommendation.

Onward!

LL

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.