permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] USDA/AMS Organic Research, Promotion, and Information Order

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] USDA/AMS Organic Research, Promotion, and Information Order
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 18:21:15 -0500

1)
My view will not surprise anyone who has been paying attention: This
another expected turn of the dialectical screw in the emergence and
hegemony of industrial organic, in line with historical USDA goals. Toward
this objective, the agency is using the same Act it has used to subsidize
big agriculture and foster its monopoly control over every sector of the
food system. Crumbs are dropped along the way to deceive and pacify small
farmers. How depressing that so many are fooled. History repeats itself,
first as tragedy, then as farce.
--
Karl North - http://karlnorth.com/
"Pueblo que canta no morira" - Cuban saying

On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net> wrote:

> Opinions have been quite diverse regarding the following. Is there a
> consensus within this group?
> Organic Research, Promotion, and Information Order
>
> A Proposed Rule by the Agricultural Marketing Service
> <https://www.federalregister.gov/agencies/agricultural-marketing-service>
> on 01/18/2017 <https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/18>
>
> https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/01/18/2017-00
> 601/organic-research-promotion-and-information-order
>

> AGENCY:
>
> Agricultural Marketing Service, USDA.
> ACTION:
>
> Proposed rule.
> SUMMARY:
>
> This rulemaking proposes the establishment of an industry-funded
> promotion, research, and information program for certified organic
> products. The purpose of the program would be to strengthen the position of
> certified organic products in the marketplace, support research to benefit
> the organic industry, and improve access to information and data across the
> organic sector. The proposed program, the Organic Research, Promotion, and
> Information Order (proposed Order), was submitted to the U.S. Department of
> Agriculture (USDA) by the Organic Trade Association (OTA). Under the
> proposed Order, certified producers (producers) and certified handlers
> (handlers) with gross sales in excess of $250,000 for the previous
> marketing year of certified organic agricultural commodities would pay an
> assessment of one-tenth of one percent of net organic sales. Importers
> importing greater than $250,000 in transaction value of organic products
> for the previous marketing year would pay an assessment of one-tenth of one
> percent of the transaction value of certified organic products reported to
> the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (Customs or CBP). Producers,
> handlers, and importers that fall below these thresholds could choose to
> pay assessments into the program as a “voluntarily assessed” entity. The
> proposed program would be implemented under the Commodity Promotion,
> Research, and Information Act of 1996 (the Act) and would be administered
> by a board of assessment payers and one public member appointed by the
> Secretary of Agriculture (Secretary). An initial referendum would be held
> among mandatorily and voluntarily assessed entities (*i.e.* domestic
> producers, handlers, and importers) to determine whether they favor
> implementation of the program prior to it going into effect. This proposed
> rule also announces the Agricultural Marketing Service's (AMS) intent to
> request approval from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) of new
> information collection requirements to implement the program.
> DATES:
>
> Comments must be received by March 20, 2017. Pursuant to the Paperwork
> Reduction Act (PRA), comments on the information collection burden that
> would result from this proposal must be received by March 20, 2017.

> [...]
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com