permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Anonymous browsing of the internet was Re: Leaving the Evil Empire of Facebook — Medium

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Anonymous browsing of the internet was Re: Leaving the Evil Empire of Facebook — Medium
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:52:53 -0500

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:39 PM, Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net> wrote:

> Anyone who is concerned about online privacy should consider downloading
> and using the Tor browser.

Thanks for the advice, Bob. I always wondered of Tor was worth the time. I
also wondered if our communication through it was really private or only
slightly more so than unencrypted typical messaging and browsing.

I subscribe to the Torrentfreak mailing list which has useful news much of
the time, such as:

Top 10 Most Popular Torrent Sites of 2016
https://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-popular-torrent-sites-of-2016-160102/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29
Posting a list of the world’s most-visited torrent sites has been a
long-standing tradition at TF, which we continue today. At the start of
2016 KickassTorrents is pulling in most traffic followed by The Pirate Bay.
A lot of things have happened over the past year, with some torrent sites
disappearing from the scene and others taking their place.

If you want to dig deep:
CRYPTO-GRAM by Bruce Schneier CTO, Resilient Systems, Inc. schneier@schneier
.com https://www.schneier.com <https://www.schneier.com>
A free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses, insights, and
commentaries on security: computer and otherwise. For back issues, or to
subscribe, visit <https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html>.
You can read this issue on the web at <https://www.schneier
.com/crypto-gram/archives/2015/1215.html>. These same essays and news items
appear in the "Schneier on Security" blog at <http://www.schneier.com/blog>,
along with a lively and intelligent comment section. An RSS feed is
available.

I highly recommend Hacker News for all sorts of computer and security news
and analysis. It offers commenting
and is a little like Voat, Reddit, Snapzu and Hubski though much more
spartan and tightly managed and moderated
You will find tons of articles on Tor there. Reddit has several really good
Tor subs.
Hacker News
https://news.ycombinator.com/
Here is a typical article though most are highly technical computer related:
Facebook eating their own dog food (thenextweb.com
<https://news.ycombinator.com/from?site=thenextweb.com>)
Report: Facebook and Google can’t play nice, and users are pawns in the game
http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2016/01/04/report-facebook-and-google-cant-play-nice-and-users-are-pawns-in-the-game/
Of all the things a developer shouldn’t do, creating resistance for users
is one of them. According to a new report, Facebook did just that to test
user loyalty.
>From The Information
<https://www.theinformation.com/facebooks-android-contingency-planning?shared=c12ca1>
:
Facebook has tested the loyalty and patience of Android users by secretly
introducing artificial errors that would automatically crash the app for
hours at a time, says one person familiar with the one-time experiment. The
purpose of the test, which happened several years ago, was to see at what
threshold would a person ditch the Facebook app altogether. To be fair,
Facebook’s efforts here are reportedly in anticipation of a war with
Google.
[Always support Google - LL]

Here are other sites I found with basic info on the other side of the
Internet:
Tor
https://www.torproject.org/

The Internet, the Deep Web, and the Dark Web
https://danielmiessler.com/study/internet-deep-dark-web/
A good reference guide to bookmark:
Summary
The *Internet* is where it’s easy to find things online because what you’re
searching for is all in search engines.
The *Deep Web* is the part of the Internet that isn’t necessarily
malicious, but is simply too large and/or obscure to be indexed due to the
limitations of crawling and indexing software (like Google/Bing/Baidu).
The *Dark Web* is the part of the non-indexed part of the Internet (the
Deep Web) that is used by those who are purposely trying to control access
because they have a strong desire for privacy, or because what they’re
doing is illegal.
Also:
*The Deep Web*: The deep web is a subset of the Internet that is not
indexed by the major search engines. This means that you have to visit
those places directly instead of being able to search for them. So there
aren’t directions to get there, but they’re waiting if you have an address.
The Deep Web is largely there simply because the Internet is too large for
search engines to cover completely. So the Deep Web is the long tail of
what’s left out.
*The Dark Web*: The Dark Web (also called Darknet) is a subset of the Deep
Web that is not only not indexed, but that also requires something special
to be able to access it, e.g., specific proxying software or authentication
to gain access. The Dark Web often sits on top of additional sub-networks,
such as Tor, I2P, and Freenet, and is often associated with criminal
activity of various degrees, including buying and selling drugs,
pornography, gambling, etc. While the Dark Web is definitely used for those
things more than the standard Internet or the Deep Web, there are many
legitimate uses for the Dark Web as well.

It allows you to run around the internet with great anonymity. Some of

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com